Video created in partnership with ces
Eligibility to Apply
Meritus welcomes seniors graduating from public and charter high schools within the San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) and select high schools in the Peninsula to apply. You are eligible if you:
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.0 – 3.7 (unweighted)
- Demonstrate financial need
- Plan to attend a four-year accredited college
- Demonstrate an outstanding personal record of achievement as determined by:
- Academic preparation to succeed in college
- Ability to overcome challenges and a desire to succeed
- Quality involvement with others via work, school, family, and community
- Focus and purpose in pursuing higher education en route to post-graduate goals
All students, regardless of documentation status, are welcome and encouraged to apply for the Meritus Scholarship.
In order to apply, please create an account and submit a complete application by our final deadline, January 15, 2018.
The application contains the following components:
- Personal Profile and Contact Information
- High School Academic History
- Contact Information for two Recommenders
- A History of Community, Work, Extra-Curricular and Family Involvement
- Short Response: “Why Meritus? Briefly explain how becoming a Meritus Scholar will further impact your academic, professional and personal development and which component of the Meritus program excites you most.” (Max. 250 words)
- Personal Essay: “The lessons we take from obstacles or setbacks we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, what steps did you take to overcome it, and what did you learn from the experience?” (750 words max)
- Financial Information
Again, all components of your application must be completed and submitted by January 15, 2018.