The staff at Meritus College Fund experience a lot of joys as Scholars navigate their college experience, and our favorite–by far–is the pride we feel when our Scholars graduate from college, excited and prepared for the future.
This month we celebrate the December graduations of the following Meritus Scholars. Please join us in celebrating their hard-earned accomplishment and wishing them all the best in their future endeavors!
- 2010 Scholar Bradford Chow Jackson, San Francisco State University, Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies
- 2012 Scholar Binita Dhital, San Jose State University, Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- 2013 Scholar Shunguan Mai, University of California at Davis, Bachelor of Science in Statistics
- 2013 Scholar Janira Odar, University of California at Berkeley, Bachelor of Science in Sociology
- 2014 Scholar Erika Palomo, Holy Names University, Bachelor of Science in Business Marketing
All of these Scholars have shown in college the same persistence, ambition and grit that they had when they became Meritus Scholars as high school seniors.
Erika Palomo pursued a demanding business marketing major at Holy Names University while still taking full advantage of all the career development support Meritus offers. Most recently, Erika completed a paid summer internship at Blue Shield, which she secured through Meritus. And even with a busy extracurricular schedule, Erika is graduating a full semester early!
As all Scholars do, Erika graduates from college having the full Meritus network–our donors, mentors, and advisors–at her disposal, helping to provide her with the social capital she needs in order to have a advantage in her job search. This social capital, a term used to describe the value of one’s professional network, is invaluable to our Scholars, many of whom are not only first-generation college graduates, but also the first in their family to go through a professional career search.
Congratulations again to our graduating Scholars Bradford, Binita, Shunguan, Janira, and Erika!