Want to join the Meritus College Fund team? See below for all current job openings.
College Success Advisor
Meritus seeks a full-time College Success Advisor who will work in conjunction with and report directly to the Director of Programs. The College Success Advisor offers direct support to a caseload of Scholars, while advancing larger programmatic and organizational initiatives. The role presents a unique opportunity to join a small but highly-effective staff committed to the success of its Scholars.
The Programs Team provides advising, mentoring, and professional skills development to ensure its Scholars are successful in and beyond college. Students are admitted into the program during the spring term of their senior year of high school. Meritus plays an integral role in supporting its students as they make final matriculation decisions and readies them for the transition to higher education through a combination of personalized support and group programming. Once in college, the team offers one-on-one advising through to graduation to help address academic, financial, and/or socio-emotional challenges that students experience on campus, identify opportunities that enrich the college experience, and position Meritus Scholars for success once they graduate.
The College Success Advisor will be responsible for:
- Advise students throughout their college journey by employing a developmentally and culturally appropriate framework and methodology, focused on student self-advocacy
- Problem solve with students facing academic, financial, or personal challenges that could derail them from their college pursuits
- Identify opportunities that enhance the college experience
- Preemptively identify and work with students at higher risk for dropout
- Assist and advocate for students not in good standing at their university, including students at risk of dismissal or losing financial aid, on academic probation, on a leave of absence, or transitioning back to their college as a result of deferment
- Review and revise student’s professional development materials, including resumes and cover letters, and facilitate focused discussions on career pathways with students
- Work in conjunction with the Associate Director of Programs to identify students from caseload that would benefit from internships and/or mentoring opportunities offered through Meritus
- Monitor and track student progress toward major declaration and graduation
- Refer to and collaborate with external resources as needed to ensure students receive the highest quality support
- Assist in the annual selection of new Scholars including recruiting applicants, processing applications, and advising on acceptance decisions
- Introduce new Scholars to the Meritus program during the onboarding process and support and advise them through the college selection process
- Build relationships with each Scholar through personalized support
- Assist in planning, implementing, and evaluating summer transition-to-college events (Welcome Orientation, Awards Reception, and Transition to College Workshop, pre-departure check-ins) to ensure students are college ready
- Maintain accurate records related to student progress in our Salesforce database through routine note-taking and data entry
- Evaluate efficacy of program by soliciting student feedback and measuring program impact in conjunction with program staff
- Collaborate with program staff to ensure complementary student support
- Support program staff in developing additional curriculum for onboarding Scholars and supporting Scholars academically, socio-emotionally and professionally
- Support program staff as needed
- Support organizational objectives as needed
- Identify student success stories to assist the development team
- Collaborate with development team to assist in fundraising efforts
Ideal Candidates Exhibit the Following Qualities
- One to three years in either student advising or counseling, preferably with a college-going population
- Firm belief that all students, no matter their background, deserve to receive a quality college education
- Experience working with populations traditionally under-represented on college campuses, such as DREAMers, independent youth, English language learners, young parents, students with learning disabilities, etc.
- Strong knowledge of university policies related to financial aid, college admissions (especially transfers), academics (probation, dismissal), the appeals process, and general college resources
- Experience working with college bound youth in the Bay Area, with a knowledge of resources accessible in the community
- Strong database management skills; Salesforce a plus
- Fluency in a second language – particularly Spanish or Cantonese – is highly preferred
- Ability to work on a small team
- Willingness and flexibility to support colleagues as needed
- Entrepreneurial spirit and “can do” attitude
Our staff is small, highly energetic, collegial, fun, and committed to the mission of the organization. Our team members are supportive of one other. In addition to working hard, staff finds time to build community.
The Meritus office is housed in the Thoreau Center, a shared non-profit facility that supports the community with educational events, communication tools, social gatherings, and informational and art gallery exhibits. The Center is located in the beautiful Presidio of San Francisco. A free tenants-only shuttle is available for transit to the Financial District.
Meritus is an equal opportunity employer in hiring and employment.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: College Success Advisor – First Name Last Name
Meritus offers a competitive salary and benefits package including health and dental coverage, a generous vacation plan, 11-day holiday schedule, flex-scheduling, paid sick leave, and pre-tax transit plan. Meritus actively supports the growth of all employees and encourages professional development, networking, and collaboration. Full-time employees in the Presidio are also eligible to apply for preferred Presidio housing.