Want to join the Meritus College Fund team? See below for all current job openings.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to the Board of Directors (Board), the Executive Director (ED) will be deeply committed to Meritus’ vision and mission. The ED will collaborate with the Board to further develop and implement a strategic plan, and will formulate practical and achievable steps designed for organizational sustainability and programmatic growth. Meritus is actively working on expanding within the Bay Area and leading this effort will be an important part of the ED’s role.
As the executive leader of Meritus in the extended community, the ED will actively cultivate collaborations while enhancing relationships with all stakeholders, including foundations, individual donors, business and educational leaders, partner organizations and others. Working closely with the Board, the ED will maximize opportunities for diverse sources of revenue including, but not limited to donor cultivation, grants, corporate partnerships and planned giving programs.
The ED will demonstrate a passion for higher education, as well as the capacity to be a respected and articulate spokesperson in the community.
- Provide leadership to the Board, staff, volunteers, alumni, and Scholars in implementing the organization’s strategic plan to advance Meritus’ mission and vision.
- As the face of the organization, serve as a compelling and fearless spokesperson for Meritus.
- Elevate the stature of Meritus by becoming a visible leader in education circles and develop strategic alliances with organizations that can advance Meritus’ mission.
- Maintain a positive working environment that motivates and encourages staff to participate fully in the mission of the organization.
- Manage, support and work in collaboration and partnership with the Program Director to ensure that Meritus programs continue to be the core of the organization and are maintained at the highest level.
- Recruit and select staff members as needed; provide supervision, development, and training.
Fundraising & Communication
- Collaborate with the Board and Director of Development to develop, execute, and track a fundraising plan to include revenue from multiple sources including foundations, corporations, and individual donors.
- Work in collaboration and partnership with the Director of Development to review and strengthen event fundraising strategies, including researching, identifying, cultivating, soliciting and thanking individual donors and event sponsors.
- Ensure consistent quality of finance, business operations and administration, human resources and systems, including recommending timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals and ensure a healthy work environment.
- Regularly assess and refine the organization’s structure and staffing needs.
- Collaborate with staff and the Board on budget preparation and monitor spending to ensure the continued financial health of the organization.
- Oversee annual audit process.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legal and fiscal practices of a non-profit corporation.
- Present timely and accurate information to the Board regarding the status of agreed upon objectives, finances, staffing, volunteers and other relevant issues.
- Collaborate with the Board to implement by-laws, policies and procedures, governance structure, strategy and planning for continued board recruitment and development, and training in governance best practices.
- Minimum of 7 years senior nonprofit management experience, including working on or for a Board of Directors
- Background and an understanding of higher education and a commitment and passion for the value of Meritus’ mission.
- Demonstrated success in developing financially viable and sustainable program models.
- Proven track record as a successful fundraiser.
- Ability to engage the Board, staff and other stakeholders in collaborative problem-solving.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including an ability to elicit trust and commitment from the Board, staff, Scholars, volunteers and the community.
- Proven ability to forge strong collaborative community and business relationships.
- Demonstrated organizational, operational and financial acumen and the ability to communicate accurate and timely information to the Board.
- Ability to engage, manage, lead, and provide support and mentoring to staff and volunteers.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the Bay Area community a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This is a full-time exempt position.
This search is being conducted by the Center for Volunteer & Nonprofit Leadership’s Executive Search & Transition Services. To be considered as an applicant:
- Email PDF Resume and Cover Letter in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include in the Subject line: “Meritus College Fund ED Search”
*Applications without a cover letter will not be considered; documents must be submitted online.
Meritus College Fund is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of qualifications. Policy prohibits unlawful discrimination in any employment decision based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by federal, state or
local law or ordinance or regulation.
Submission of your application is not an offer of employment or an employment contract.